The oldest B-School in India, Faculty of Management Studies, popular as FMS is one of the premier B-Schools of the country. While the admission forms for FMS closed in late November, the admission process will begin shortly, now that the CAT 2019 results are out. This year, along with the core fees, FMS Delhi has inculcated a number of changes.
Key changes for admission at FMS for the batch 2020-22
The primary changes that have been included in the admission process for this year are mentioned below:
- The number of MBA seats have increased from 200 to 287.
- The fees for the MBA (full-time) course has increased to 1.92 lakhs. Where previously the fees was 20,000 per semester, it now has scaled to 48,000 per semester.
- For the purpose of shortlisting, an additional 3 marks will be added to the composite score of women candidates.
Even after inculcating the above changes, FMS Delhi is still one of the most sort after B-School as it offers the best RoI. The institute accepts CAT score for shortlisting students for the further rounds of the admission process. Varying parameters are awarded to set the sectional percentile in CAT 2019 for shortlisting candidates. In addition to appearing for the entrance exam, CAT 2019, students have to separately apply to FMS Delhi. The applications are made available online, on the institute’s website.
Number of Seats
Having added reservation for the EWS category, FMS has increased the number of seats of FMS by 25%, increasing it to 287, for the batch of 2020-22. The breakdown of the number of seats available in each category is as follows:
|Category||Seats for the MBA batch of 2020-22|
|Supernumerary – PwD||12|
|Supernumerary – CW||12|
|Supernumerary – FS||12|
|Total seats for the batch of 2020-22||287|
Shortlisting Criteria for FMS
FMS shortlists candidates on the basis of a number of parameters. Segregated into three steps, the candidates have to first fulfil the primary eligibility criteria post which they’ll be shortlisted for GD, PI and extempore. The final round of admission process for FMS selects students on the basis of the total score of all rounds.
In order to maintain gender diversity and the variety in academic disciplines, different weightage will be given to different sections of a candidate’s score in CAT 2019. On grounds of gender diversity, overall and sectional score of CAT 2019 amongst others, the candidates will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- For shortlisting students, FMS dedicates 100% weightage to the CAT 2019 score.
- Candidates will be awarded weightage for their sectional percentile, scored in CAT 2019. The breakdown of the weightage of each section is as follows:
- 30% for Quantitative Ability
- 30% for Logical Interpretation and Data Interpretation
- 40% for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- For female candidates, additional 3 marks will be added to the net composite score for the purpose of shortlisting.
- The composite score will only be used for shortlisting candidates for the interview process.
- Candidates that will be shortlisted will have to sit for all the three rounds of GD-PI and extempore, failing which they won’t be considered for admission.
- Where FMS earlier considered the overall CAT percentile for cut-off, the trend noticed in the last three years brings to light the fact that FMS has started considering sectional cut-offs too. Keeping that in mind, ones who have scored a sectional percentile of 97 and beyond will be shortlisted.
- Maximum weightage is given to the section of VARC and so, that percentile plays a major role during the shortlisting of candidates.
The Final Selection Round
After the initial shortlist, candidates are called in the second week of April for the final selection round. Important details for this round are mentioned below:
- All the candidates who have been shortlisted will be eligible to participate and sit for the final selection round.
- This round of admissions to the batch of 2020-22 of FMS Delhi will start in the second week of April 2020.
- The final selection criteria includes the rounds of Group Discussion, Personal Interview and Extempore.
- This final round will be conducted at the Delhi campus of FMS.
- The final merit list after this last selection round will be created based on the CAT 2019 score, the candidates’ academic profile along with their performance in the rounds of GD, PI and extempore.
- Of the maximum aggregate marks, an additional 3% will be awarded to female candidates who appear for the interview.
- The final list is uploaded by the institute just after the last day of the admission process is over in April 2020.
The weightage given to each component for the final merit list is given below:
|CAT 2019 score||60%|
|Marks obtained in class 10||5%|
|Marks obtained in class 12||5%|
To know more about the admission process for FMS Delhi, click here.