While the shortlist for IIM Shillong is set to be released on 15th January or later, their selection criteria and admission process is out already. In line with other IIMs, this year the sectional cut-off CAT percentile of IIM Shillong dropped to 75 for admission to the batch of 2020-22. However, there is no specific minimum overall percentile mentioned in the shortlisting criteria of the institute.
The shortlisting criteria of IIM Shillong with a minimum sectional cut off of 75 is similar to that of IIM Ahmedabad. The cut-offs have been lowered to give way to academic and gender diversity in the IIM classrooms. IIM Shillong is inclined towards selecting students who portray strong analytical skills along with an orientation towards the outcome, which they reflect in their CAT or GMAT scores. It also considers the academic performance and work experience of candidates in addition to considering the ones having social or community orientation.
The shortlisting criteria of IIM Shillong
On the basis of the CAT 2019 score, past academic record, the number of seats available and other factors, the shortlisting criteria of IIM Shillong is as follows:
- The candidates must at least have a minimum of 75 percentile in each of the three sections of Verbal and Reading Comprehension, Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation and Quantitative Aptitude in CAT 2019.
- The students who do not have the minimum percentile in each section will not be shortlisted.
- As prescribed, no minimum overall percentile is required in CAT 2019.
- Candidates with exceptional academics will be awarded more points in shortlisting.
- A minimum of 80% is required in the classes of 10th and 12th for getting shortlisted.
- There are no points for the marks scored by a candidate in the bachelor’s degree.
- The candidates shortlisted for GD and PI will have to attend both the rounds of GD and PI. The ones who do not comply will not be considered for the final admission.
- All the eligible candidates will be divided on grounds of their academic disciplines in graduation. From every discipline, a certain percentage of students will be selected for the rounds of GD and PI.
- In the categories of DA (Differently Abled), ST (Scheduled Tribe), SC (Scheduled Caste), General, OBC (OT) and EWS, a category-wise shortlist will be prepared.
- The candidates that’ll be shortlisted will be informed via email and SMS (as provided in their CAT-2019 application form). They can also refer to the IIM Shillong website for the details.
The Selection Process
The selection process at IIM Shillong is divided into the following two steps:
- Selection on the basis of CAT score and marks scored in 10 and 12 for group discussion and personal interview
- Preparation of the final list that will be based on the overall CAT score, marks in GD and PI.
To qualify for further admission processes at IIM Shillong, candidates must have secured a minimum score in classes 10 and 12. The criteria for the same is mentioned in the table below.
|Category||Class 10||Class 12|
Divided in two phases, the selection process at IIM Shillong begins with shortlisting based on the candidates’ marks scored in CAT and in classes 10 and 12 and the CAT score. This is the first step of shortlisting. The ones who fit this bracket are then called for the further rounds of GD and PI.
The final phase of the admission process, here IIM Shillong selects candidates on the basis of their CAT score, marks scored in GD and PI. The merit list generated lists the names of the candidates in the decreasing order of their scores of CAT, GD and PI combined. The qualifying criteria for the rounds of GD and PI are mentioned below.
|Category||Cut-off in GD||Cut-off in PI|
Important points to be noted
Along with the above-mentioned details, a few other points must be kept in mind.
- Candidates have to fill a form to get shortlisted for the interview round. The same will be available on the official website of IIM Shillong.
- Only the candidates who fill the form correctly, within the given time and fulfil all the criteria mentioned above, will be shortlisted for the rounds of GD and PI. They will be informed via email and message. No intimation will be made to the ones who do not get shortlisted.
- The final merit list will be generated on the basis of students’ CAT score, their performance in GD and PI, their academic profile amongst other criteria.
- The scores in GD, PI and the absolute overall score of CAT will be normalized for the preparation of the final merit list.
- The selected candidates will have to submit a proof of the completion of their graduation by 31st December 2020.
- The final merit list will be uploaded on the website of IIM Shillong in the second week of May 2020. The shortlisted candidates will also be intimated via email and call.
To know more about the admission process at IIM Shillong, click here.